Thursday, November 15, 2012

12 Months!

My baby boy turned one on November 1st. I have been slightly dreading this day for quite some time.  I just feel like time is passing too quickly. I didn't think I would be as sentimental about the day as I was. I couldn't help but reflect on meeting my sweet boy for the first time and how much I have grown to love him. He truly has changed our lives for the better and we are so blessed to have him in our lives. Deacon will always hold a special place in my heart for making me a mother. Motherhood has stretched me in more ways than I ever thought possible and I am loving this chapter of my life. 
{The Poky wind was at full force when I took these pictures, which is why Deacon's hair looks crazy!}
Deacon gets more personality by the day. He truly is so much fun! Deacon can be such a little ham when he wants to be and he can also be very feisty at times. He definitely knows how to throw a good tantrum and I know he is going to really give me a run for my money. Gosh, he already is. However, he has had a stomach bug for the last week and has not been himself. I have missed my crazy little busy body so much!
Here's what our little one year old has been up to:
Suddenly Deacon is signing like crazy! He will sign dog, fish, more, eat, and milk on his own without any prompts. It is so fun to watch him be able to tell us things and let us know his wants. Every morning he wakes up frantically signing milk. He signs shoes, all done, and ball with prompts from us. I'm hoping verbal words will follow!
He knows the sounds for cow, horse, and cat...at least an approximation of the real sounds these animals make! It is probably the cutest thing ever!
He is really good at doing puzzles. It amazes us that he can put the pieces in correctly. 
He loves pulling the pillows off the couch and lying on them. 
He  currently loves bath time. He loves filling cups up with water when we fill up the tub and likes to touch the water with his face. He loves lying on his stomach and blowing bubbles with his mouth. 
He loves to cuddle up to blankets and pillows and is getting more snuggly with Alan and I. 
He is obsessed with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Doc McStuffins. Sometimes these shows are the only thing that will calm him down or make him happy. 
He loves his big stuffed elephant "Ellie". He loves to give it kisses and lay on it. 
We learned at his birthday party that he loves chocolate and he loves frozen yogurt. 
We switched him to forward facing in his car seat and he is a big fan!
He loves to run to the window and sign dog. I'm assuming he does this because he always hears dogs barking outside. 
He understands basically everything we tell him it seems. He is really good at following simple commands and will bring us toys or objects if we ask him. 
He has 4 teeth...2 on top and 2 on bottom. For a long while he only had 1 tooth on top and he has been rocking the snaggle tooth look! He has such a cheesy grin and we love it!
He is really good at blowing kisses and waving. He has some sort of 6th sense and will start these gestures the second someone is leaving. We seriously don't even have to tell him. When Alan leaves in the morning he will drop whatever he is doing and blow kisses and wave. Talk about melting our hearts!
He LOVES to dance and does so by bending his knees and bouncing. I'm not sure where he learned this move. 
He loves music and it has a calming effect on him. 
He loves bringing us books to read to him. This is one of the first things he does every morning. 
One of my most favorite things he recently is letting me do is snuggle him in his towel after bath time. It truly is the best thing in the world. 
He claps for himself
When you ask him where his tongue is he proudly sticks it out. 
12 Month Stats:
Weight: 20 pounds, 9 ounces-18th percentile
Height: 29 1/4 inches-31st percentile
Deacon's morning naps have been hit or miss for the last couple of weeks. This is bittersweet for me. I defintely love his morning naps but it is also nice to be able to have more time in the morning to get out and do things without worrying about his nap.
I was really hoping to have Deacon off his bottle by the time he was one. Of course it is not going as planned. He had a bit of a hard time transitioning to whole milk. I mixed his milk with formula for a couple of days and now I heat his milk and he will drink straight whole milk. Our problem now is getting him to drink milk out of his sippy cup. He really wants nothing to do with it at this point. I'm trying to just go with the flow!
I stopped pumping on his birthday! I know many people think I'm crazy but I don't regret pumping for that long at all. I worked so hard to get my milk in the beginning that it was so hard for me to give it up. I almost felt guilty letting it dry up. I wanted to breastfeed so bad and I was heartbroken when it didn't go well from the beginning. I feel so blessed I was able to do it after lots of hard work and it was something I loved doing. I loved that one on one time I had with my baby. I was hoping to be able to continue to nurse him in the morning when he wakes up but he doesn't want anything to do with it. So I'm officially done nursing. In a sense it is liberating but sad at the same time.
Well my baby is officially no longer a baby but a toddler! 
Happy 1st Birthday sweet boy. We love you more than you'll ever know!

4 comments:

Shawn and Nina Olsen said...

AH I just love this stage! I feel like I know little Deacon, and I love that i've been able to read about him each month! We too have not made the transition to sippys and whole milk yet... I always planned on doing it when Jude turned a year, but he's been sick with an ear infection and croup the last couple weeks so I thought I wouldn't make him too miserable. Im totally dreading it too knowing it will be rough. Good luck!
ADORABLE pictures by the way!
xoxo

Chris Neidig said...

These are absolutely amazing, adorable pictures! What a handsome sweet little guy! So fun to read of everything he is doing and sad at the same time that we have missed his growing up time. We love him! So excited to see him next week!

anya said...

What a cute little peanut!

Emma said...

Happy Birthday Deacon. You made it a year Em! I am sure the sippy cup will come easier for him as he gets older. I was worried about Caleb being on a bottle, but around 16 months he got the hang of sippy cups way better and I just gradually got rid of the bottle. It will come with time. You are such a good Mom and I love seeing Deacon grow up.